542 Lakeland hills, fells and mountains in under twelve months



PLEASE EMAIL ME AT 542in2016@gmail.com if you have any problems. You can also still use the comment form at the top of the right hand column to contact me or pledge support.

Sunday 10 January 2016

I thought it was time I wrote a quick note to update everyone. It's been incredibly hectic over the last week, with so much to do - planning the strategy for the walks together with organising support and getting the vital sponsorship.

Planning the walks is going OK - I'll be in the Lake District from next Thursday 14 January, with the first summit being Loughrigg Fell, which I chose because (a) I'm in the area and (b) it was the very last of the 214 Wainwrights I climbed in 2009, so it seems appropriate to make it the first one this time.

When it comes to support, I've had a very generous offer of some accommodation in the Lake District but would very much appreciate some more. On the sponsorship side, all my expectations have been exceeded, with over 250 people 'signing up' and so far five companies providing sponsorship too. But for the cause of Cancer Research there will never be enough sponsors, so if you can please spread the word amongst friends, colleagues and family it would be great. I know some people find it difficult but I think you'll find that a lot of your friends will relish the opportunity to contribute, and anyway, isn't the prospect of improving so many people's cancer outcomes worth an awkward moment or two?

The main thing I want to say in this short message is a big thank you to everyone who's now on board. I hope I'll be able to entertain you over the next few months and that you genuinely enjoy throwing a few coins into a collecting tin and seeing them grow as I 'knock off' the summits bit by bit!

Between now and Thursday I'll be organising some flyers for local businesses, getting some special T-shirts designed (get your orders in early!), visiting local businesses, hopefully to attract some more financial support, finalising the plans for the weekend's walks (I'll try to post some details of Day 1 in case anyone's interested), trying to improve the blog (hopefully I'll be moving over to a dedicated web site), and much more. Add to that a few things that need doing for the Ribble Valley Ride cycle sportive, and for good old-fashioned work, and I don't think I'll have too much spare time!

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Please keep in touch with the blog and spread the word if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment